On Tuesday earlier this week, The ICC imposed a Eight-year bans on United Arab Emirates (UAE) cricketers Mohammad Naveed and Shaiman Anwar Butt for their purported behaviours of trying to fix matches in the T20 World Cup qualifier in 2019. Read more - 'This is just beyond me': Sanjay Manjrekar discontented with team's opening combination in 3rd T20
Mohammad Naveed and Shaiman Anwar Butt were provisionally suspended in 2019 on October 16 for attempting to corrupt matches and found guilty of breaching global body's Anti-Corruption Code.
Two days before the start of the e 2019 ICC T20 World Cup Qualifier , the ICC confirmed that Naveed had been suspended, after breaching cricket's anti-corruption rules. Ahmed Raza replaced him for the captaincy.The 33-year-old former captain and right arm pacer Naveed has had represented International side for 39 ODIs and 31 T20s, while 42-year-old middle-order batsman Shaiman Anwar Butt has played 40 ODIs and 32 T20 matches.
Read Also -
"Mohammad Naveed and Shaiman Anwar Butt represented their adopted country, the UAE at the highest level in cricket," Alex Marshall, ICC General Manager.
"Naveed was the captain and leading wicket taker. Anwar was the opening bat. Both had long international careers and were well versed in the threat from match fixers. "That they both chose to engage with this corrupt activity was a cynical betrayal of their positions, their teammates, and all supporters of UAE cricket." said Integrity Unit, in an ICC release. Naveed was also found guilty of breaching the following two counts of the Emirates Cricket Board Anti-Corruption Code for Participants of the T10 League 2019.
According to the release, the two UAE cricketers were found guilty of:
Article 2.1.1 for being in party to an agreement or effort to fix or contrive or otherwise influence improperly the result, progress, conduct or other aspects of a match or matches at the ICC Men's T20 World Cup Qualifier 2019.
Article 2.4.4 – Failing to disclose to the ACU full details of any approaches or invitations received to engage in corrupt conduct under the Code at the ICC Men's T20 World Cup Qualifier 2019.
Marshall expressed contentment that both have been given significant sanctions. "I am pleased that the independent Tribunal has imposed significant bans from all forms of cricket and this should serve as a warning to any cricketer who considers taking the wrong path." he said.